Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Dvorak Layout Argument


d-VOR-ak
I see a lot of ignorant posts in discussions about Dvorak, QWERTY, Colemak and other keyboard layouts. People often come to the conclusion that it’s not worth the switch, especially if you’re already proficient in a layout, but there are too many undereducated and, frankly, BIASED opinions out there by which people unwittingly allow themselves to be swayed.

Here are the FACTS (from my research – take it as you would any other person’s opinion):

* Dvorak is better for your hands than other layouts (plenty of independent user reports cite how it has helped their RSI and/or carpal tunnel, but some DO NOT benefit) and more efficient to use (this does not say anything about its potential speed benefits but read on)

* There ARE people who averaged 110+ wpm on QWERTY who then made the switch to Dvorak and did increased their speeds (usually no more than 10 wpm) – and of those who didn’t quit QWERTY completely, they can still proficiently use both layouts, though their QWERTY speeds usually slow a bit

* One week will never be enough to make the switch – from the people I’ve heard whom have made the switch it has taken 2-4+ months of practice on average to reach their QWERTY speeds on Dvorak (though more practice means faster progress) – but this is a switch to which one should be completely dedicated – you need not bother switching if you don’t want to spend time training

* It’s not for everyone. I put off learning Dvorak for YEARS because I didn’t see much of the potential benefit and I was a fast QWERTY typist already (110-120 wpm on average). Even now, my two MAIN reasons for switching were: fear of developing carpal tunnel syndrome, and the fact that I had TIME to make the switch (some summers you just don’t have a lot to do)

Das ist Das Keyboard.
Other reasons I switched include: The desire to become more of a keyboard hipster than I am right now – I use a Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent (blank keys, mechanical Cherry MX Brown key switches), the excuse to allow fewer people to use my keyboard (and possibly screw over anyone who does try to use it without my permission..), the possibility of higher wpm (which not everyone achieves, but I’m progressing faster than anyone I’ve known so I’m hopeful), and simple FRUSTRATION – I shudder knowing that the QWERTY layout is technically a modern invention and there’s basically no turning back from it, BUT IT IS BY FAR NOT THE BEST LAYOUT. I don’t care which one people think is best be it Dvorak, Colemak or another layout sent into obscurity, but QWERTY just ISN’T the best and the fact that society has forever accepted it as THE standard layout (for English) frightens me. What OTHER inventions will we see in the future that aren’t as efficient as they should be and which ones will we accept forever, despite their faults? That is one of the other reasons I switched – the world shouldn’t settle for mediocrity when something much much better comes along, but it does – so this is ONE thing I won’t settle for: a layout that isn’t tailored for the user’s hands.

Again, don’t bother switching if you have no fear of stress injuries in your future or don’t want to spend weeks and months gathering speed in Dvorak whilst losing it in QWERTY. But you SHOULD switch if you want a healthier layout and you have the time. However, I encourage those ready to learn Dvorak to keep practicing QWERTY as well – the world will never universally and wholly switch to Dvorak, and since you live in this world, you’ll want to keep your QWERTY abilities.

(Originally posted as a response here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment